Powered by Blogger.

Moana Review


This has come a little later than I wanted but as Christmas was so crazy I just didn't have time. 
I went to see Moana on Christmas Eve Eve, and it was stunning. I've decided to keep this review SPOILER FREE so anyone can read it, but I will be telling you some of the basic background & exploring the songs, characters and visuals. 

I've been waiting for this movie for a long time. I remember seeing the first picture of this and being told it was a mix between Pocahontas & Hercules. I was worried at first as I'm a huge Hercules fan but could never really get into Pocahontas as there wasn't enough fantasy for me. I was happily surprised with Moana, it really is a treat for the eyes.


Moana, the protagonist, is the daughter of a chief living on an island called Motunui. Moana is excepted to become the next leader and continue their way of life, but Moana wants more. She feels connected to the ocean & beyond the island. She wants to lead the people away from the ordinary life on Motunui and have an adventure, but her father is against it.
When Moana's island is put in danger like a prophecy foretold, it's up to her to travel beyond the line of the ocean, find demi-god Maui and save her people & island. 


The visuals and animation in this movie are stunning. I didn't think that the animation could get any better than Frozen but I was wrong. The colours are so strong & the scenery really immersed you into the story. I came out in the middle of winter thinking I been on holiday in the middle of summer. The animation of the characters is so clear too, every movement is clean & beautiful. 

The characters are also awesome! Moana is strong female, who once again proves you can be brave and strong without a man, which is the one of the most refreshing things about this movie. Of course I love the Disney romance but it was nice having a Disney movie that didn't involve any romance like Brave. Maui is a great character and his personality was on point, he really reminded me of Discord from My Little Pony. I really liked his character and loved seeing all the sides to his personality from his angry moody side, to his cheeky side to his soft sad side. I really wish that Pua was it in more as he was ADORABLE! Hei Hei was hilarious and Grandma Tala reminded of my Nan as she is pretty crazy but wise and I love her so much.


Even though I loved the visuals, my favourite thing about this movie has to be the music. I really associate Disney with music and their soundtracks and I really miss the music in a Disney movie if there isn't any. The music in Moana is perfect. They really embraced the culture & sounds, whenever I listen to it (which I doing right now..) I really just wanna do some hulu dancing! 
I really love the voice of Auli'i Cravalho for Moana. If you didn't know, when they were casting Disney sent a request for people to send in videos of themselves singing & reading Moana lines and 14 year old Auli'i won. I think she is a perfect Moana and her singing voice is beautiful. 
My favourites are Where You Are, How Far I'll Go, Your Welcome but I think my favourite is 'I am Moana'. I really recommend the album if you looking for some new Disney songs.


Overall, I love Moana. It one that's definitely worth a watch in the cinema if you can as the visuals look amazing on such a big screen & the sound sounds fantastic.
I can't wait to see it again when I get it on DVD later in the year!

Have you seen Moana? What did you think?

No comments